[NAFEX] precocity

Ed Forest edforest55 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 19 18:11:25 EDT 2005

Doreen wrote:
"Another thought about the precocity you are seeing in that bed.  It may be
that it's loaded with mycorrhizal fungi, . . . "

Hmmmm . . . I forgot about that, I had inoculated that bed with mycorrhizal
fungi. Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm . . . time for a controlled experiment. Wait, I'm
almost positive I used it on the other beds that have put out only one or
two blossoms in five or six years as opposed to about ten in its third year
with the one I mentioned in Nafex.
The fungi is so expensive though, the prices have really gone up. Where do
you buy your's? I used to get mine from Chappies. It seems to make sense
that mycorrhizal fungi would encourage bearing, perhaps giving signals that
the roots are well established in the soil and that the tree is robust
enough to bear crops.
Another thing, these last two years, but especially this one, seems that
fruits are bearing their first crops all over the farm, young trees, old
trees, trees in beds, trees in rows, trees in orchard plantings, including
some trees that were planted ten years ago. I wonder if there is something
going on that is similar to the bamboo flowering thing, where bamboos flower
in the same year all over the world, if I recall. (Maybe its just one
species of bamboo).
kevin