[NAFEX] mulch (was gypsum)

Del Stubbs northernlights2n at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 08:19:06 EDT 2005

Lucky, that is bizarre, they must have gotten gypsum mined  near a uranium deposit. I am
dropping the sheetrock idea because I dont need it fauling up certification in the
future. Thanks for all the useful commentary folks. However,  half the reason I
considered it was as a sod smothering mulch. Since I won't use easy solutions like
roundup to kill back grass around young trees, and I have too many to weed whip up to the
trunk every couple weeks, mulch has been a real study - that I am not satisfied with yet.
If I use mats (ie, cardboard, carpet, perforated mats, etc. ) then rotted manure I apply
is seperated from the root circle. If I use staw it soon builds up to a mound that will
build  too deep around the trunk. What do other non-roundupers do?
Thanks,  Del, n MN Z 2/3

Del Stubbs  http://www.pinewoodforge.com   zone 3   N. MN