[NAFEX] Precocity

Doreen Howard gardendiva at charter.net
Mon Apr 18 21:31:30 EDT 2005

Another thought about the precocity you are seeing in that bed.  It may be
that it's loaded with mycorrhizal fungi, which is instrumental in precocity
in many species.  Good organic practices encourage mycorrhizal spread.  The
trees I got from you and the Pixie Crunch were all inoculated with
mycorrhizae when I planted them.  I also planted a Saturn peach last May,
and it's loaded with fruit already due to mycorrhizal inoculation.  I'll
leave a few to mature, as the tree put on good growth last summer. I've also
seen perennials like peonies bloom the first spring after planting when they
are inoculated with mycorrhizae.  Normally, it takes at least two seasons
for the first bloom after planting.
Doreen Howard