[NAFEX] Precocity

Doreen Howard gardendiva at charter.net
Mon Apr 18 21:22:53 EDT 2005

Kevin,
The two small apple trees ( Honey Crisp & Ashmead's Kernel) I got from you
last spring are blooming, too!  They are about 5 feet tall and didn't put on
much growth last season.  They spent the time, after being planted in late
April, establishing roots.  I purchased a Pixie Crunch from Henry Field's at
Ed Fackler's recommendation, also.  It was planted in the same bed in
mid-May.  It, too, is blooming.

I think your observations about last fall, plenty of moisture and a warm
spring are correct.  The mature crab apples down the hill from my
mini-orchard are starting to bloom, almost a month earlier than last year.
I'm in Zone 4b/5a, which is the same as yours, if I remember correctly.
Doreen Howard