[NAFEX] Waste

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Mon Apr 18 00:28:33 EDT 2005

In a message dated 4/17/2005 9:45:05 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
tolenio at sentex.net writes:

> Waste is waste, whether you see the smoke or it moulders underground for
> millions of years
.

I predict, but none of us will be around to see if I'm wrong, that at some
point (far less than a million years) in the future these land fills will be
mined for the rare and precious metals and other materials that are in them.
Technology will be such and the market values high enough that mining landfills
will be profitable. They will be excavated, trucked to a processing plant for
separation of metals, in the reverse order as now being done.

In this area of Indiana there are many vacated coal strip mines. Some of
these are being underlain with plastic. KR Drenth Trucking sends many many trucks
to this area with garbage from New Jersey and other eastern states every day.
On my last trip to the land fill two weeks ago in a half hours time I saw 14
KR Drenth tractor trailer garbage trucks at the land fill. This goes on every
day of every week. My guess is when Indiana is out of areas suitable for
landfills just as the eastern states are now, garbage will be hauled further west.

On a recent drive to Indianapolis I counted the KR Drenth trucks on west
bound I-70 and computed if the same number were in every 60 mile segment there
would be about 250 trucks on the road headed to Indiana loaded with garbage every
day.

There was a local environmental group that tried to stop the garbage being
hauled into Indiana but were told to stop it would violate Federal Interstate
Commerce laws. If they set up road blocks to stop the trucks federal laws would
be broken, The Feds would step in, hello jail time.

The State Legislature cannot stop it. As I recall we can't even tax the
trucks.

Moulders underground? I love it. :-)

Jerry

PS. I'm not picking on you good folks from the state of NJ.