[NAFEX] fiberglass

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Sun Apr 17 17:27:08 EDT 2005

Fiberglass isn't toxic - and it doesn't burn readily, it prefers to melt.
Inhaled fiberglass particles damage the lungs in a way similar to asbestos.

But, fiberglass won't become particulate and start spreading itself around -
it needs help for that...

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of list at ginda.us
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2005 8:31 AM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] gypsum / organinc cert.

After burning, wouldn't there still be glass in the ash?  And other
than being bad to breath, and irritating to the skin, is fiberglass all
that toxic?  I would think that in a landfill, fiberglass would sit
fairly benignly, neither escaping into the nearby air/water/soil not
especially damaging anything else.  I've never thought of fiberglass as
an especially potent or dangerous toxin.

Ginda