[NAFEX] Cornus Mas

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Sun Apr 17 00:33:55 EDT 2005

It doesn't meet your geographical specs, but you still might want to check
out One Green World.  They have more cultivars of C. Mas than anyplace I've
seen.  At least checking the selection on the website might give you some
ideas.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of list at ginda.us
Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2005 6:28 PM
To: NAFEX
Subject: [NAFEX] Cornus Mas

I have two cornus mas, but I think they are too far apart to pollinate.
  I've decided that rather than move the smaller one, I will buy a new
one this fall.  (My soil is rocky, and if the roots have established
much, it will be very hard to move the tree.)  I will put it near the
one that is doing better.  There's more sun on that side.

Any advice on good cultivars, and/or good people to buy from?  I prefer
to buy from east of the rockies, partly because the shipping is less
stressful for the plants, and partly because I'm afraid of sudden oak
death.  (Although I suppose we will all be seeing that all too soon.)
Also, it's always easier to buy from the same climate or north, rather
than from the south.  A southern plant may have broken dormancy in the
spring before I can get it in the ground, and may not have hardened off
in the fall.

I am in eastern Massachusetts, zone 6.

Thanks,
Ginda Fisher