[NAFEX] Cornus Mas

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Sat Apr 16 21:54:01 EDT 2005

Cornus mas goes through a "male" phase when it will bloom but not set
fruit.  Eventually, it will set, though some trees, especially
seedlings, can take 10 to 12 years before they fruit.
Hidden Springs Nursery, in Cookeville, TN, founded by our own Hector
Black (see listings for interest groups in the back of POMONA) has some
named selections.  I have several good large fruited ones I've been
testing, but would have to find someone else to do the propagating as
they aren't that easy to graft, and I haven't time.  Oddly enough, I
just found some dried Cornus mas fruit from the Middle East in a local
grocery store.  More than likely, the seed in it is viable if someone
wants to try some.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.