[NAFEX] gypsum / sheetrock

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Sat Apr 16 21:53:43 EDT 2005

On Apr 16, 2005, at 9:21 AM, Del Stubbs wrote:

> A fellow orchardist uses sheetrock (gypsum board ) to both add gypsum
> and smother sod and
> kill weeds around new trees. Since we are on heavy clay I reckon
> gypsum is a good idea,
> and I am sure I could access sheetrock cuttoffs by the truckload from
> local contractors.
> My only concern is what is in the product besides gypsum - as I may
> start the process of
> organic certification soon. Paper, glue and gypsum sounds pretty
> innocuous, anybody know
> if there is any objectionable stuff in sheetrock? Other commnentary?
> Del

If you are contemplating getting certified, before applying ANYTHING
check with the agency you intend to certify with.

I just took a fast look at my 2004 print version of the OMRI (organic
materials review institute) generic list. It says: "Gypsum - mined
source: Nonsynthertic, Calcium sulfate; only mined forms are
acceptable. See Gypsum By-products and Mined Minerals - Unprocessed."
The next item says: "Gypsum By-Products: Synthetic. Gypsum produced as
a by-product of superphosphate manufacture . . . from precipitation of
sulfur-dioxide gas with limestone, or from dry-wall rejects is
prohibited".

So it sounds to me like you'd better not use it. But you could check
with a certifying agency to be sure.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly