[NAFEX] Cornus Mas

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Sat Apr 16 21:28:25 EDT 2005

I have two cornus mas, but I think they are too far apart to pollinate.
  I've decided that rather than move the smaller one, I will buy a new
one this fall.  (My soil is rocky, and if the roots have established
much, it will be very hard to move the tree.)  I will put it near the
one that is doing better.  There's more sun on that side.

Any advice on good cultivars, and/or good people to buy from?  I prefer
to buy from east of the rockies, partly because the shipping is less
stressful for the plants, and partly because I'm afraid of sudden oak
death.  (Although I suppose we will all be seeing that all too soon.)
Also, it's always easier to buy from the same climate or north, rather
than from the south.  A southern plant may have broken dormancy in the
spring before I can get it in the ground, and may not have hardened off
in the fall.

I am in eastern Massachusetts, zone 6.

Thanks,
Ginda Fisher