[NAFEX] Amphibian Decline

Pat Meadows pat at containerseeds.com
Sat Apr 16 08:58:47 EDT 2005

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 04:17:44 -0500, you wrote:

>Ginda,
>
>I always wondered about the role of disease in the disappearance of my
>Golden Toads.  The area I lived in in Costa Rica was visited by thousands of
>biologists over the years, many of whom collected herps and other biological
>material from all over the country.  Perhaps one of them introduced a
>disease from some other amphibian population.  It seems odd, though, that a
>disease would completely overwhelm a species--if an animal is susceptible to
>a disease aren't there usually at least a few resistant ones in a
>population?

If only a few are resistant and survive, then they may no
longer be a viable breeding population:  no longer able to
find mates and reproduce enough to keep the species going.
Very small populations are also subject to genetic problems
caused by inbreeding.

So a few could be resistant yet the species could still
become extinct.

Pat
--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit, and
edible flower seeds for successful container growing.