[NAFEX] Re:Lime/Amphibian decline

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Fri Apr 15 14:34:21 EDT 2005

USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Doc Lisenby
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2005 8:37 AM
To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [NAFEX] Re:Lime/Amphibian decline

It is common practice to check fish ponds here in the South to insure that
the pH isn't too low.  I add tons of lime to my 3 acre pond every few years.

It takes a lot of lime to show any appreciable rise in pH and some people
says it is an exercise in futility.
I hear only one or two bullfrogs (Rana catesbelana)every year.  Fifty years
ago we could harvest enough for a meal.   Nowadays, frog gigs, a commonly
sold hardware/sporting good store item, are hard to find.
I have always suspected  that surfactants/detergents/wetting agents/surface
tension depressants/emulsifiers inadvertently left on eating implements,
dishes and cookware are involved somehow in causing coronary artery disease
in humans.  They are powerful reagents and just don't belong in a living
organism; except for those that the organism's body makes for a specific
purpose.
Doc Lisenby