[NAFEX] Tanglefoot can be dangerous

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Thu Apr 14 23:06:25 EDT 2005

In a message dated 4/14/2005 7:14:36 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
jfruth at uslink.net writes:>

>   I learned, the hard way, that tanglefoot will/can girdle a tree, even a
> tree with crusted scalely bark.  It softens bark and, eventually, penetrates
> to the inner bark.  And I thought I wasn't putting very much on.

I've only used it on persimmon trunks to keep especially ants out during the
pollinating period when hand pollinating. The flowers I'm taken selected
pollen to are bagged to keep bees from bringing in stray pollen. Ants can get in
even though the bags are tied. Mr. Claypool used to place cotton at the tying
point to make a tight fit. I've found it much easier to use Tanglefoot around
the tree in a wide band keeping them out of the tree. And have used the same
banded area two and three years in a row.

>From one year to the next only a dark ring is left, all the tanglefoot
disintegrates. Have had no problems like you describe with persimmon. Could you have
been using bird tanglefoot as opposed to tree tanglefoot?

Jerry