[NAFEX] "Roundup" effects

loneroc loneroc at mwt.net
Wed Apr 13 07:26:19 EDT 2005

Heron,

The decline in anphibians may have multiple causes.  Although the decline
does not include every species, it is worldwide.   When I was a kid growing
up near the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve in Costa Rica, the Golden Toad
(Bufo periglenes, or something like that) bred by the zillions in cloud
forest pools.  I kept them in a terrarium.  Although the entire habitat
was/is stringently protected, the toad has not been seen for around 15
years.  It seems odd to have played with a now extinct species--sort of like
juggling passenger pigeons I suppose.

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, WI