[NAFEX] RE: Malus fusca

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Mon Apr 11 03:11:31 EDT 2005

That's what I recall: 25% of plants very susceptible, 25% of plants very
resistant, and the rest with some varying susceptibility.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Philip Stewart
Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2005 8:36 AM
To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [NAFEX] RE: Malus fusca

Not all Malus fusca is fire blight resistant...though
there are certainly very resistant individuals,
susceptible trees are not terribly uncommon as well.
If I recall, Jim Cummins (or maybe some one else)
tried M. fusca in the Geneva rootstock breeding
program, and the results were not especially
inspiring. I wish I could remember, but I think he
said 25% of seedlings were FB susceptible.

All other messages are discarded.
No exceptions.
to change other email options):