[NAFEX] RE: Malus fusca

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Sun Apr 10 11:50:25 EDT 2005

Depends a lot on where the seed source came from, as well as if it was
pure.  I have seen natural hybrids of fusca with domestic apples, so
who's to say the FB susceptibility wasn't introduced.
In any case,  variation in many wild species is so common that
differences in FB resistance in the wild Malus fusca species wouldn't
surprise me.  It just points up the value in screening a collection of
material from difference sources/locales to find the best, if it is to
be used as a rootstock.  It's a very widespread species, going quite
far north, clear up to Alaska, so there is bound to be lots of
variation worth testing.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.