[NAFEX] Malus fusca?

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Sun Apr 10 10:38:06 EDT 2005

It should work as a rootstock, though it does graft rather oddly - some
varieties seem to work, some don't on it.  At one time it was given the
name Pyrus fusca because it was thought to be a pear species rather
than an apple.  Dr. M.N. Westwood recommended it for trial and breeding
of fireblight resistant rootstocks, so it should have some value.
Based on the size of the trees, I'd say it would make a semi-dwarfing
stock.  Though I'd use an interstem of Winter Banana apple to make sure
the graft worked.  Winter Banana is a stock that is graft compatible
with pears.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.