[NAFEX] Iowa Pawpaw and Persimmon recommendations?

Mark River mark at markriver.com
Fri Apr 8 14:38:42 EDT 2005

Hello, I'm a new fruit grower and am curious to plant a few Pawpaws and American Persimmons.  I live in West-Central Iowa (the northern tip of zone 5), near the city of Atlantic.  I have a decent microclimate with good air drainage and a sheltered spot on the south side of my barn.

Any specific cultivars that would be recommended for this area?  Grafted vs. non-grafted seedlings?  Do I need 2 cultivars for pollination for pawpaws and/or persimmons?

Thanks,
Mark