[NAFEX] April 5 and already an embedded tick

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Thu Apr 7 22:39:53 EDT 2005

My cats get lots of ticks, so I've thought a lot about tick removal.
The best gadget I've tried is a "tick fork". (Or "tick twister")  It
works sort of like the "tick spoons" that look like a spoon with a
slot, but it has two tines that are bent like on a garden fork, with a
narrow slot between them.  The goal is to slide the two tines on either
side of the tick, with one above and the other below the mouthparts.
Then twist (not pull) it around, and the tines squeeze the mouthparts
together, forcing them to close a bit and slide out of the flesh.  It
works really well on my cats.  It's much easier to place and clearly
less painful (to the cat) to actually extract the tick than with other
methods (tweezers, tick spoon)  We haven't had to use it on a person,
yet, but it's certainly the tool I'll grab if anyone gets one.

I bought it from my vet for more than you'd expect for a little piece
of plastic, but not that much in the scheme of things.  I heartily
endorse it.

www.otom.com

Ginda
eastern Mass., zone 6
(Haven't seen ticks on the cats yet, but have started examining them
closely.)