[NAFEX] rooting hardwood grape cuttings upside down

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Wed Apr 6 23:40:25 EDT 2005

That's a variation on one of the oldest methods, burying cuttings
upside down in sand pits outdoors.  The idea is that the top layers of
sand get warm first, so the bottoms of the cuttings callus before the
deeper levels get warm enough for the buds to push.  The basic
principle is mainly to keep the bottom of the cutting warm and the top
as cool as possible.  I've seen rooting benches in a cooler, with a
heat cable under the cuttings.  The top stays in the very cool air and
the buds stay tight, while the bottom gets warm and roots.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.