[NAFEX] Pesky Tree Rats

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Wed Apr 6 09:24:59 EDT 2005

At 05:58 PM 4/5/2005, you wrote:
>Lucky,
>
>Thanks for the warning!
>
>We have scattered the Rampage packets into areas where only rats or mice
>would be likely to find them.  The rats have to gnaw open the package
>themselves and eat – in spite of the clearly worded warning that it would
>kill them
 our cats showed no interest in the fallen rats, and dogs didn’t
>have access to the bait, so we never faced the problem of pets becoming
>contaminated.  Although the product was advertised as ‘safe’ for
>non-rodents, it doesn’t surprise me that direct consumption by small
>mammals (puppies) could lead to problems.

Steve,
I've not researched it, or spoken with our toxicologist, but I suspect the
'safety' is as you initially described it - secondary consumers(animals
consuming the initially poisoned rats/mice) are relatively safe from
toxicosis - which is definitely not the case with most of the potentiated
anticoagulant baits(brodifacoum, diphacinone,etc.).
I wouldn't consider the Vitamin D analogs to be 'safe' for any non-rodent,
if consumed directly.  While the cases of Rampage/Quintox poisoning I've
seen in dogs were mainly in puppies, they weren't necessarily 'small' - one
was a 50-60 lb Lab.  And I've also seen reports of the same sort of tissue
mineralization(stomach, kidney, lung) and death in adult swine, when their
ration was mis-formulated, with substitution of Vitamin D concentrate in
place of dicalcium phosphate.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7