[NAFEX] fruit buds vs vegetative buds

Del Stubbs northernlights2n at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 6 08:54:10 EDT 2005

Thanks Derry,
 I believe I am still years from summer pruning - you and I are in such different zones.
Most of my apples are on prunifolia or renetka seedling stock. (I have one expirimental
row of 40  on bud 9's and a handful of bud 118's - but a dry test winter that bottoms at
minus 50F could hurt them plenty )
Here is a quote from your excellent webpage if I may:
"Summer pruning is also ideal for controlling closely planted trees (cordons) and trees
that have "filled their space," as it reduces vigour. Do not summer prune young trees
that have yet to grow into their space."
My seedling trees, spaced at 18'  are far from even having their final form even
established. So do I interpret correctly that summer pruning is years off for my orchard
yet?
(Our bottom this winter was around -43F with good snow cover, eager to see what varieties
have tip die back)  I don't relly know what zone to figure for us, it has been 7 years
since we have been even below -40F, but that year it was -56F), so , mostly we are zone
3.  Zone 2/3?
Thanks, Del
Regarding fruit buds being fatter, I went out to examine a couple trees that bloomed a
bit last year and still find it difficult to be sure - as primary buds are larger as
well.