[NAFEX] Elderberries Question

Doc Lisenby longdistshtr at shtc.net
Wed Apr 6 08:48:44 EDT 2005

I drive past a house periodically where there is a  tree about six feet tall
which bears a very heavy crop of what appears to be elderberries every year.
The owner is never home for me to ask him or her what variety it is or
whether it actually an elderberry.  It is fenced in and I can't get closer
than about ten feet to it.
I remember seeing wild elderberries in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey
similarly bearing such crops but they were annual bushes if I remember
correctly.  I have tried several varieties here in South Carolina without
getting near the amount of berries this specimen bears.  Anyone have any
ideas as to what variety this could be?  Or if it is possible that a similar
species could be mistaken for elderberry?  The leaves look just like
elderberry leaves and the berries are the same color and size.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8