[NAFEX] Clove Currant

Regina Kreger regina at kreger.net
Wed Apr 6 00:05:06 EDT 2005

I'm interested in planting some Clove Currants. They sound wonderful!  Fruit, flavor, fragrance, flowers, fall foliage, ffffff....  But I'm a bit confused.  Lee Reich, are you out there?  In your book, you say they need cross-pollination.  But also that it's hard to find any improved cultivars, and even what's sold as Crandall might be seedlings and variable quality. How to find two or more good ones?  If I were able to find two good cultivars (say... from someone on this list?), do they root from cuttings?  Could we propagate them some other way?  Will they thrive in my hot humid D.C. suburban summers?  I could spare some part shade, but for the fragrance ideal would be right in the full sun at the base of the back porch. Are they fragrant only when in bloom, or is the whole plant fragrant?

Yum, yum, yum.

Regina in Riverdale, Maryland, Zone 7
Novice fruit explorer