[NAFEX] Pesky Tree Rats

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Tue Apr 5 18:58:02 EDT 2005

Lucky,

Thanks for the warning!

We have scattered the Rampage packets into areas where only rats or mice
would be likely to find them.  The rats have to gnaw open the package
themselves and eat - in spite of the clearly worded warning that it would
kill them. our cats showed no interest in the fallen rats, and dogs didn't
have access to the bait, so we never faced the problem of pets becoming
contaminated.  Although the product was advertised as 'safe' for
non-rodents, it doesn't surprise me that direct consumption by small mammals
(puppies) could lead to problems.

Stephen Sadler

  _____

From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Lucky Pittman
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 7:09 AM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Pesky Tree Rats

At 07:52 PM 4/3/2005, Steve wrote:

Theres a rodent poison called Rampage.  Its active ingredient is vitamin
D3, which causes rapid and fatal hardening of the arteries is rodents, and
only rodents.  Non-rodents eating rodents killed by Rampage would not be
harmed.

But, be aware that non-rodents eating Rampage(or any of the other Vit D
analog rodenticides) would experience the same increased calcium
absorption/mobilization and mineralization of tissues.  I've seen several
puppies that dined on the D3 analogs with pretty impressive mineralization
of renal(kidney) tubules, lung, and gastric mucosa.

Louis L. "Lucky" Pittman, Jr., DVM
Veterinary Pathologist/ Dept. Chairman
Murray St. Univ.-Breathitt Veterinary Ctr.
Hopkinsville, KY