[NAFEX] squirrels & cats

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Tue Apr 5 13:44:14 EDT 2005

At 11:26 PM 4/4/2005, you wrote:
>mammals.  Some like birds, snakes, insects, etc.  Some don't catch prey at
>all.  (My third cat has never chased anything more exciting than a stray
>feather.)  I have no idea if you can predict what kind of a hunter one
>will be when you acquire it.

My wife & kids have three outdoor cats - they're mainly frog
predators.  Every morning throughout the summer, I'll come out to find one
or more frog bodies, sans their rear legs, lying on the doormat, looking up
at me, saying, "Help me!" (a la Vincent Price in The Fly).  I pick them up,
walk over to the pond and pitch them in, to be dispatched by the catfish.
The current dog is lleh on voles, but walking through my orchard is like
walking through an artillery practice range - I never know when I'm going
to step off in a hole she's dug and sprain my ankle.
The previous dog was death on groundhogs and squirrels.  If either got any
distance from the trees across the pond, or from their hole, they were dead
meat.