[NAFEX] squirrels & cats

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Tue Apr 5 00:26:17 EDT 2005

On Apr 4, 2005, at 9:52 PM, road's end farm wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2005, at 1:41 PM, joanrrosenberg at aol.com wrote:
>
>>  Not all cats climb trees, so if you want cats that will go after
>> squirrels by going up the tree, you have ask around to find one for
>> adoption.
>>

> Even cats that love to climb trees may not catch many squirrels, as
> squirrels are even better in trees than cats are. My excellent mousers
> climb after the squirrels, but the squirrels retreat to the tiniest
> branches (which won't hold the cats) and scold at them. If your cat
> habitually hangs out in a given tree, however, the squirrels might
> prefer to spend their time in a different one.
>
> Many dogs (including mine) also chase squirrels, but the squirrels
> almost always beat the dog to the tree.

I have three cats.  The best climber doesn't chase squirrels.  The one
who chases squirrels does climb, but I don't think he's ever caught a
squirrel that made it to the tree.  He has killed three or four
squirrels, and innumerable chipmunks.  He's an optomist, though.  Not
only does he chase squirrels up trees, I've seen him climb through
bushes attempting to nab birds.  He's never caught a bird, though.
(The climber has caught some birds, but that stopped when I removed the
feeder she could jump to.)

mammals.  Some like birds, snakes, insects, etc.  Some don't catch prey
at all.  (My third cat has never chased anything more exciting than a
stray feather.)  I have no idea if you can predict what kind of a
hunter one will be when you acquire it.

Ginda