[NAFEX] Pesky Tree Rats

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Sun Apr 3 23:04:27 EDT 2005

There are a number of ways to shoot squirrels that are surprisingly
safe.  If you can use a .22 (and if it's legal to shoot where you are),
there are several types of ammunition to investigate.  One is a short,
low velocity type .22 shell used for shooting rats indoors.  The
bullets have enough power to kill the rat, but won't penetrate a wall.
Another type is a fragmentation bullet (actually several types) that is
essentially a hollow copper jacket with very tiny shot in it.  It has
short range and beyond a distance about equal to a back yard, getting
hit by one would be like having  sand thrown at you by hand.  You have
to find a good gun shop or order online to get these - they aren't sold
in ordinary stores.  They ARE lethal to humans at very short range (10
feet more or less), so they aren't totally free of danger.
Some types of air rifles can be pumped up enough that the pellets have
the power of a .22 also.  We have an older one that is accurate for
about 100 feet, but at close range it will penetrate an inch of soft
wood.
All these assume you know how to use them.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.