[NAFEX] rat poison

Michelle Horner shelly2 at wi.rr.com
Sun Apr 3 20:31:57 EDT 2005

>SET UP A FEEDER  JUST THE >SQUIRRELS CAN GET IN AND FEED >THEM RAT POSION

>Will anything that eats the bodies then get >killed by the rat poison?

And there's the rub--we are on 2 acres and have used DeCon liberally in the past.  I was always cautious--stashing it in rafters, under work benches.  Well, just before Christmas our 5 month old American Water Spaniel had a "near death experience" with the stuff.  We still are not sure where she mixed it up--and I am supicious that it was consumption of a dead carcass.  Fortunately, there is a positive test for the stuff, so we eventually figured out what was going on.  But the experience left us a lot more suspicious of the stuff (and about $1500. poorer)--now we are a DeCon-free zone.  And we are considering a couple of barn cats for a new control system.  We were always under the impression that once digested by initial contact, nothing happened in subsequent consumptions.  I do not know.  Just our wake-up call.