[NAFEX] Bending branches to induce early fruiting

Doreen Howard gardendiva at charter.net
Sat Apr 2 15:27:30 EST 2005

My husband has been a target competition handgunner for years and reloads
most of his ammo.  He melts down lead into ingots, and I steal them to use a
branch weights.  They are about 4 ounces each, and I use several in a cloth
or cheesecloth sling.  I attach the sling to the branch with the cloth ends.
The strips are about 2 inches wide and spread the weight so the bark isn't
girdled.  I bent the branches on a Montrose apricot seedling from Del Stubbs
in its early years this way, and now I have a 5-foot tree with scaffold
branches parallel to the ground.  I'm doing the same with Asian pears and a
Saturn peach.
Doreen Howard