[NAFEX] Rooting grapes and kiwis

Lisa Almarode lisaalmarode at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 2 11:15:27 EST 2005

I have some grape and hardy kiwi dormant cuttings
from the HOS show, that I'm rooting in pots in the
house (got a tent for them, and there're on the floor
with radiant heating, but no special heat or mist),
been about 6 weeks.  How do I know when they are
safely rooted?  The grapes are budding, one's got a
leaf out; the kiwis have 4" of shoots, but I've seen
herb cuttings grow in spite of not really having
roots.  Past list mail sounds like dormant kiwi
cuttings are difficult to root, should I cut off the
shoots and try to root them?  Cut off the shoots to
not put more demands on the forming rootlets?  Or
just be patient?

Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Z7 - Sunset Z7 - 1800' - 19" annual rainfall