[NAFEX] Rooting pears, other difficult things

tanis cuff tanistanis at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 1 18:35:31 EST 2005

Aren't stooling and air-layering, and the branch in a pot thru the bottom
hole, all the same thing?

I've read somewhere that one way to get "difficult" rooters to root is to
blanch the section of stem where you want the roots to be.  This might mean
wrapping the branch with tape or other coating, or stapling cardboard over
it, etc.  This convinces the stem that it is under mulch or in soil.  The
constant dark initiates bio-chemical processes, making rooting quicker when
you eventually take the cutting and stick it into rooting media.  This may
have been the theory of some obscure amatuer propagator; I don't know if
there are any charts of correct season & number days of blanching per
species in question.

Tanis Cuff, needing better memory to match my curiosity!