[NAFEX] Rooting pears

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Fri Apr 1 12:56:57 EST 2005

That's one of the oldest methods of layering around.  In "A Reverence
For Wood" there is a little story of an English person setting up a
stand on a tree limb to layer a shoot.  There was a hole in the stand
where a shoot went through, then into the drainage hole in the bottom
of a pot set on the stand.  The family takes the rooted tree with them
when they move to the American colonies.  This was a fairly common
method of propagating apples before grafting became widespread.  It's a
good way to do it if you don't mind a full size tree.
--Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.