[NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 21, Issue 69

tanis cuff tanistanis at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 30 21:49:49 EDT 2004

I have 'Timm' & 'Success' from the late great Bear Creek Nursery, and
another suckery selection from a local landscape nursery.  Got an average of
5" growth in 10 years, then I started fertilizing w/ lime, I think the bag
says hydrated lime, a tablespoon in a gallon of water per plant once per
year.  They now display noticeable expansion, but not impressive.

I see native Amels in the local woods, only one or 2 per woodlot, the small
tree species.  Haven't ever noticed fruit on these.

Would like to try adapted selections, as I like the fruit.

I should have noted in a previous posting, hardy grapes also do OK here, but
they need a little better care & trellisses than I currently supply.
Raccoons & fruit worms get most of the grapes.