[NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 21, Issue 69

Lon Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Sat Oct 30 18:59:10 EDT 2004

If you planted the Canadian varieties of Amelanchier, they don't grow
because of an adaptation they have to the cold prairie climates.  They
have a "burst" growth habit in which they do all their growing fast,
early in the season.  By the first of July (more or less) they will set
buds and you can fertilize and water up the yazoo and never get them to
budge.
This is one reason that we really need to have people go out and
explore the LOCAL Amelanchier for other selections, to get types with
better local adaptation.  There are species of Amelanchier  over most
of North America and all have decently edible fruit, though some are
better than others.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.