[NAFEX] mulching with pine needles

markl markl at nytec.com
Fri Oct 29 15:37:16 EDT 2004

I know mulching with pine needles has been discussed here before.  The advice that these are to be avoided since they make the soil acid has been exposed as a myth.  I heard a new reason not to mulch with pine needles.  A county extension agent said these should not be used for mulch since they contain resins that are bad for fruit trees.  I didn't know how to respond to that.  I think that is a myth also.  Next time I hear that advice I want to have a comeback.  Any thoughts...
-Mark Lee, Seattle  zone 8a