[NAFEX] Fall planting.

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Fri Oct 29 11:40:48 EDT 2004

I'm in zone 5b and prefer fall planting. Have successfully planted without
using an ounce of water. The trees are dormant and need no water. Simply dig a
large hole, pulverize the soil and plant mounding the soil. Let the winter and
spring rains settle the soil. Then they are in place for that early spring
root growth. Who knows it may be too wet for early spring planting and many
nurseries ship late, fall planting avoids those problems. Also helps avoid the
crack that developes around the edge of the hole that restricts root growth the
first year.

One word of caution, if in the North (maybe zone 6 and further north) place 6
inches of mulch over the top to prevent the frost from freezing deep and
killing roots. Frost penetrates much deeper in loose soil.

Observation. Someone mentioned winter soil heaving (buldge or lift). I've
seen it heave as much as 6 inches here in central Indiana.

My 2 cents worth.

Jerry