[NAFEX] Currant cutting request

Ribes60 at aol.com Ribes60 at aol.com
Fri Oct 29 00:08:20 EDT 2004

I think that fall is the best time to plant currants and gooseberries and
also to root cuttings. I no longer propagate and sell plants but have rooted
many hundreds by fall cuttings. I am in central PA zone 5/6. I like to till a
row , add rotted leaf mulch and till it again. I put down black plastic, and
stab the cuttings through the plastic. I prefer to get the cuttings in by mid
October - our first good frost is about that time, I strip any remaining
leaves  off the cuttings before sticking them. I like cuttings about 8 to 10 inches
 long and stick them in about 4 to 5 inches.I have found very little
difference  in using cutting with or without the terminal end. The ground rarely
freezes  before mid to late December so the cuttings will probably have roots
formes  before that. Gooseberries are an exception - they do not root as easily as
currants and some are very difficult to root. I have had better luck rooting
semi-green cuttings of gooseberry in May. They must be kept moist and in the
shade at that time. I also remove all but the top three of four leaves, then
spray or dip the tops in "Wilt Pruf". I also use a rooting harmone with  them.

I think that fall planting is much better than spring planting because in
the spring we often get early dry spells that would require a lot of watering -
even with a drip system. In the fall the weather is cooling and we get more
rain, the plant tops are leafless so do not transpire as much as plants in the
 spring.

Ed Mashburn
Zone 5/6 PA