[NAFEX] converted willingly

Claude Sweet hortventures at cox.net
Thu Oct 28 18:39:58 EDT 2004

Heron,

The moment anyone creates written, graphic, or musical material, the
ownership resides with the creator.  Only they can transfer their rights
to another person, company, or organization.  Failure to have a a
precise written contract to transfer these rights for a specific
temporary or permanent time period can result in a lot of unpleasantness
and legal expenses.

The Garden Writer Association is a professional group that consists of
individuals who write articles and books on horticultural subjects.

Appropriating someone's creative effort can be consider plagiarism or
theft.

A signed release form solves the problem and should be a common practice
whenever an article is accepted for publication.  This is a simple
concept that is being ignored by most non-profit horticultural
organizations and will eventually cause problems if not addressed as
groups use the internet and CDs to distribute their publications.

Claude Sweet
San Diego, CA