[NAFEX] Rootstock observation

tanis cuff tanistanis at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 28 18:16:55 EDT 2004

With some Bud.118 and MM111 grafts (and ungrafted rootstocks) side-by-side,
I'd like to report that Bud.118 goes dormant at least a week ahead of MM111.
  Its leaves are down and MM111 hasn't even turned color yet.  Above-graft
growth on Bud.118 is still green, mostly!  Some of the topwork on MM111 is
showing color, with green MM111 leaves below the grafts.  Interesting!

I wish I had enough grafts to say "XYZ cultivar goes dormant 1 week sooner
on Bud.118 than MM111", but that will have to wait for the McArthur grant!

Tanis Cuff, s.WI, z4 to 5, decent soil but droughty (except this year!)