[NAFEX] Currant cutting request

lee reich lreich at hvc.rr.com
Thu Oct 28 10:07:37 EDT 2004

Even here in Zone 4/5, Ribes cuttings can be taken in the fall. The
stems are cold hardy aboveground so should be hardy when in the ground,
where it is warmer. Set foot long cuttings in well drained soil deep
enough so that only their top bud is exposed. The main threat to these
cuttings is that of being heaved out of the soil as it freezes and
thaws in the coming months. The way around this is to cover them with
some fluffy organic mulch such as leaves or straw. Pull the mulch aside
in spring.

www.leereich.com