[NAFEX] How to best protect Fig trees in Long Island NY during winter

Gessie Maiurano gmaiura at optonline.net
Thu Oct 28 09:07:06 EDT 2004

I have 5 fig trees of which 3 I brought from Italy 4 years ago as small
twigs, the other 2 I purchased here in a nursery. They are planted in my
back yard and for the first 2 years did well, in fact last year I have some
figs that were ripe and tasted great. I normally wrap the trees in burlap
and then tar paper. That worked fine the first to year, but this past spring
one tree did not come back and I had to cut the wood above ground. Late in
July that tree began to grow and in fact now has figs but still green.

My question is if the method I use is correct for my area or is there a
better way to protect the figs during the cold winter? I noticed that many
people keep them in containers, is that better? If I move them in containers
how big do they have to be for trees that are now over 6 feet tall or should
I trim them to stay below 6 feet if I do move them into containers.

Any help will be appreciated.

Gessie