[NAFEX] Korean giant pear (various other names)

Lon Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Tue Oct 26 23:06:54 EDT 2004

There are a number of pears that have been sold as Korean Giant, so it
may not be one of the best.  The true one is supposed to be very late
ripening and will improve in storage.

On Oct 26, 2004, at 7:53 PM, Stefan Brandle wrote:

I tried a Korean giant pear about one week ago. It was not what I
expected. The texture and flavor (including a fair percentage grit
cells) was much more like a european pear than the asian pears I am
familiar with. It reminded me of the "ok, but not very exciting"
european pears I grew up with in Africa (not costal -- up over a mile
high).

The question is: is that what I should expect from that pear? Is it
possible that it wasn't properly ripe? (It didn't feel super hard, but
it wasn't exactly soft, either.)