[NAFEX] Korean giant pear (various other names)

Stefan Brandle sbrandle at css.tayloru.edu
Tue Oct 26 22:53:26 EDT 2004

I tried a Korean giant pear about one week ago. It was not what I
expected. The texture and flavor (including a fair percentage grit
cells) was much more like a european pear than the asian pears I am
familiar with. It reminded me of the "ok, but not very exciting"
european pears I grew up with in Africa (not costal -- up over a mile
high).

The question is: is that what I should expect from that pear? Is it
possible that it wasn't properly ripe? (It didn't feel super hard, but
it wasn't exactly soft, either.)

-sb
In zone 5 and thinking "So this has to be our Indian summer" and "Will
my male kiwi decide to do the right thing next spring so I can get some
fruit?"
:-,  <= A smiley face licking its lips in anticipation.