[NAFEX] Online Pomona

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Sat Oct 23 08:12:24 EDT 2004

I don't think anyone has seriously proposed replacing the paper copy of
Pomona with an electronic-only copy - lot's of people, including tech
savvy people, still prefer to read paper.  That's even true in "techy"
fields, and will certainly be true among fruit growers for the
foreseeable future.  I actually joined NAFEX primarily for access to
this mailing list, and see Pomona as a fringe benefit, but I would
prefer to get Pomona on paper, for instance.

The question is, should we also have an electronic version of Pomona.
There are three potential benefits to this:
1)  Some members would prefer only to receive the electronic version.
If there were enough such members, the savings in paper and postage
might fund the electronic version or even save NAFEX money.
2)  Some members would like access to an electronic version for the
search and sort capabilities that electronic access provides.
3)  An electronic archive would make it easy to give access to old
issues to new members, or to old members who have lost or discarded old
copies.  (Either on-line or on CD-ROM.  CDs are very cheap to produce
these days once the content exists.)

I think this was proposed a while ago, and it was rejected partly for
the hassle, and partly because of copyright concerns.  Once a document
exists electronically, it is very hard to keep control of it.  I don't
know if password protecting the documents would alleviate these
concerns or not.  If we go that route, I would suggest the following:

1)  Yes, the content should be password protected.  Each member should
have his own membername and password (otherwise the general password
will end up posted on the internet somewhere, and the protection will
be useless.)
2)  Some content should be available to any passing browser, as a
teaser and as a service to the broader horticultural community.  I
would suggest the table of contents and two or three articles of
general interest (with the author's approval, of course.)   Chattier,
more personal stuff, and some of the more valuable general interest
content, as well as the plant exchanges should be kept private.
Especially the plant exchanges, as most of us would be more comfortable
with "blind" commercial transactions with a fellow member than with
some random person who just stumbled across our web site.  But most
commercial magazines now give away some content to encourage people to
subscribe, and I think that makes sense for NAFEX, too.

A website of this nature, with both public and private information, is
fairly standard.  I bet we have members who could build it.  If not, I
could probably get my husband to teach me how to build it.  I'm sure we
could find resources to do this if there was enough interest.  I would
prefer not to be the sole webmaster, but if this responsibility could
be dispersed among a small group, I volunteer to be part of that group.
  I could, for instance, receive the electronic publication quarterly
and post it at least twice a year, or update links, or such.

Ginda Fisher