[NAFEX] Help me pick which fundraiser apples to buy

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Tue Oct 19 21:52:28 EDT 2004

If fireblight is rampant, you might want to investigate the new Geneva
series of rootstocks.  They are beginning to become available.  It's a
bit of a gamble of course, as they don't have much track record, but
they are all tested for fireblight resistance and productivity.

Of the apples you've mentioned, the only one that I've tried is
Ashmead's kernal, and I've eaten it, not grown it.  It may be the
ugliest apple I've ever paid for - small, lumpy, heavily (but not
evenly) russeted.  It's also delicious and crunchy - I've planted a
tree and plan to put in another next spring, since I can't find the
fruit to buy.  (One tree would be plenty, if it got enough sun.  But
I'm beginning to despair of the spot I put the first one in. . .But the
soil there is rocky and there's no way the little tree is coming out
again.)

Also, I suggest you consider some of the new apples, as well as
antiques.  "Spicy", "not mild" is unlikely to be available at your
local farmstand any time soon, but there are a bunch of newer apples
that are described that way.  Some of the cox offspring, for instance.
I can't comment on what will work in MD, though.

Ginda Fisher