[NAFEX] INDIA

Claude Sweet hortventures at cox.net
Tue Oct 19 18:13:37 EDT 2004

Bruce,

Without knowing the number members and the exact cost of printing and
distributing the 4 publications, it is difficult to state that an
increase to $18 would solve both the immediate and future deficient.

Fund raising ideas are fine for specific projects, but should not be the
solution for closing the funding problems for the publications.

Increasing membership is the best short and long term solution; however,
it does mean using the WWW as a doorway to acquire new members.  Those
of us that use the computer and the web daily prefer to have information
provided in a searchable format.

I am discarding publications because of a lack of space and the
associated fire hazard of storing publications older than six months.
Choosing to convert POMONA to an electronic publication would
substantially reduce costs while allowing color illustrations to be
incorporated into NAFEX publications.

In my opinion, demanding people write articles will not generate more
articles.  Efforts to involve researchers write articles should be
explored.  The problem is that many of the people who have acquired the
expertise are too busy, too tired, or not comfortable putting their
thoughts down on paper.

A possible solution is to consider having a staff of people who act as
reporters, digital photographers, illustrators, editors, fact checkers,
etc. interview people.  This is a standard practice, as most garden
writers are not horticultural experts.  My suggestions is to look at the
skills used to produce a horticultural publication for commercial
distribution.  NAFEX may be a not for profit organization, but it is a
business and as such it can not continue to operate for long with $5000
a year losses.

Claude Sweet