[NAFEX] Hazel flowers

Lon Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Mon Oct 18 16:56:48 EDT 2004

When the catkins are shedding pollen, If you look carefully on the
twigs, you should see what look like buds with tiny red thread sticking
out of the tips.  Those are the female flowers and the red threads are
the stigmas.  At that time, there are no ovaries or much of anything
else.  If they are pollinated, it will stimulate the development of
ovaries in late spring and they will begin to develop into nuts.  Hazel
is strictly outcrossing and the pollen must come from an unrelated tree
- it's own pollen won't work at all.
	I'm in Oregon where 95% of the commercial hazelnut production occurs,
and the trees are everywhere here, both in orchards and as volunteer
seedlings.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.