[NAFEX] Apple Identification

Luffman, Margie luffmanm at AGR.GC.CA
Mon Oct 18 14:56:44 EDT 2004

Hello everyone. I am looking for suggestions on the possible identity of an apple cultivar growing on an old farmstead (built in 1910) in Alberta, Canada. The tree was probably planted about the time the house was built. The fruit diameter is 3 inches on average and the height is 2 inches. The skin is golden yellow with a reddish streaked overcolour. I cannot provide information on flesh colour as the samples I received were in poor condition. It is a very sweet apple but a poor keeper. Fruit on the part of the tree more exposed to sun ripen in mid August while those more in the shade do not ripen until mid September. Any ideas?

Margie

Margie Luffman

Curator/Conservatrice

Canadian Clonal Genebank/Banque canadienne de Clones
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada/Agriculture et Agroalimentaire Canada
Telephone/Téléphone: 519-738-2251 ext. 474
Facsimile/Télécopieur: 519-738-2929

2585 County Road 20

Harrow, Ontario
N0R 1G0