[NAFEX] jelly recipe for cornus mas

mIEKAL aND dtv at mwt.net
Mon Oct 4 18:13:29 EDT 2004

Does anyone have a good jelly recipe (Hector maybe?)  for cornus mas.
In particular Im wondering if their is any kind of prep I need to do to
slake the astringency from the fruit.  Also Im keen on finding a
version that is eastern european in origin.  We've been searching
romanian sites & find a number of manufacturers for cornul jelly but so
far no old family recipes. We had a great year & the birds so far seem
not to like them.  I was shocked to visit the Olbrich Gardens arboretum
in Madison WI a month ago or so & see that they had 25 year old trees
lining a long walkway, planted as a very high hedge.  They were loaded,
there had to be 100s of lbs of fruit hanging & I'd be willing to bet no
one does anything with them.  ~mIEKAL